How to Prepare Your Registry for Cleaning
Cleaning the registry in your PC keeps the system running at optimum efficiency because the registry is the driving force behind running all of your computer applications and the PC's operating system. Before you clean your PC's registry there are a few precautionary measures you should take in the event the registry becomes damaged or altered in a way that could render your computer useless.
Steps to Prepare for Registry Cleaning
- Backup All Programs, Files, and Software Applications: Always backup all of the programs, files, and software applications. You can do this by saving everything to an external hard drive, CD, or other type of portable storage device.
- Check the Registry: Check the registry files to determine what needs cleaning. Generally the files that need cleaning are files that are left over from programs you uninstalled and files that have become corrupt. To view the registry click on "Start" on your main toolbar and choose "Run" from the menu. Type "regedit" in the dialog box to open the registry editor and view the files. You can also backup your registry at this point by clicking on "File" and then choosing "Export" from the submenu. Choose a location to backup the registry. You can also choose to backup the registry to a portable device by choosing the drive for the device when clicking on "Export."
- Choose a Registry Cleaner: Do your homework and choose a reputable registry cleaning software. The software should also contain a feature that will perform an automatic backup of the registry.
- Look for Registry Restore: Before running a registry cleaner make sure you know how to restore the registry in the event that anything happens during the clean up process. The Registry Restore utility is capable of restoring your registry to its original condition. To access the Registry Restore utility, click on the "Start" button on your main toolbar on the desktop and then choose "Help and Support" from the menu. When the window opens, choose "Undo changes to your computer with System Restore." This will undo any changes that have been made to your PC's registry and restore it to its original state.
- Microsoft Backup: There is also a backup utility tool provided by Microsoft on the cleanup utility page of the Microsoft website. The Microsoft Registry Backup Wizard will help you to backup all of your files and folders. The program is easily accessed on the Microsoft support page by clicking on "Guided Help to Export Registry Keys and Back Up the Registry."
Once you have taken the steps discussed here you are ready to clean the registry in your PC.