How to Prevent Unauthorized Copying of Confidential Web Content
Organizations that provide websites with confidential information often face the issues of protecting the information and the html source codes that accompany it from being copied by an unauthorized user. Without providing protection, unauthorized users can simply use their browser's temporary files to determine what files are unprotected and their source.
How to Prevent Unauthorized Copying
There is a variety of software on the market that claims to provide protection against unauthorized copying of confidential Web content. The problem with some of the software programs is that although they provide encryption and decryption, they still allow the temporary files in the browser to be viewed which defeats the purpose of preventing unauthorized copying.
The higher end Web content security programs provide a way for the content to be decrypted to memory instead of using the temporary files in the browser. The decryption keys are solely distributed to authorized users through a secure delivery system and then they are stored in an encrypted format keystore that is restricted to the computers of the authorized users.
How Quality Web Content Security Software Works
A quality piece of Web content security software contains many elements that prevent unauthorized copying of confidential website information. Here are a few ways that quality Web content security software works to secure website content.
- File Extensions: Web content security software provides file extension information to files that are protected on the website. This way all of the protection settings for that file are visible to the authorized users for the organization website.
- Graphical User Interface: A quality piece of Web content security software will contain a comprehensive graphical user interface that stores all of the protection settings which makes it easier to perform modifications to the security settings.
- Writer and Viewer Keystores: The Web content security software should contain both writer and viewer keystores that are only located on the computers of the authorized users.
- Content Sharing Restrictions: The security features should include a way to restrict content sharing only to authorized users.
- Wide Range of File Types: Quality Web content security software should be capable of handling a wide variety of files types that are used for producing Web content such as HTML, JPEG, GIF, SWF, TIF, and other file types that are used in website content.
If you have a website that contains sensitive or confidential data, the time you invest to find a quality Web content security system is well worth it. This software is also useful if you are offering content for purchase that can only be accessed through an individualized decryption code once the purchase has been made.