How to Prevent Macro Viruses
To find out how to eliminate macro viruses, lets take a quick look at what are macros. Macros are found in computer systems. Macros store a series of commands or actions, allowing the automation of the tasks that you usually complete while using computer applications. Many applications, such as Microsoft Word and Excel, support macro languages. A macro virus attacks these kinds of applications, infecting the documents and template files. So if your computer has a macro virus, and you use a word template file to make a new document, it'll also become infected by the virus. One of the common ways, a macros virus can harm your computer is by replacing the normal functioning macros, and causing a series of automatic actions that prove destructive to your files. Some examples of macro viruses include: Melissa macro virus, Word macro virus, Office XP macro virus, and Apple macro virus.
Does My Computer Have a Macro Virus?
A macro virus can transfer to other computers and applications through various ways, such as, by opening email attachments, downloading applications, sharing infected floppy discs, and through networks and modems. Since, the macro virus is a fairly new type of computer virus, it may slip by your antivirus software .
Therefore, in order to eliminate the macro virus, you need to determine if your computer system has a virus. To do this, you need to look for signs of infection. A few signs that may mean your computer is being attacked by a virus includes:
- Your computer runs slower than normal.
- Your computer prompts for a password on a file that doesn't require a password.
- Your computer displays unusual error messages or saves documents as template files.
After you determine whether or not your computer has a virus, there are several temporary fixes that you can use to cure it, so you're computer can return to its normal state. Once this is completed, it's important to take preventative measures to stop another macros virus from attacking your computer again.
How Can I Prevent a Macro Virus?
There are several methods you can use to prevent your computer system from becoming infected by a macro virus. Two of these methods include:
- Using digital signatures. Digital signatures are one of the best ways of protecting your computer from macro viruses. These signatures will identity the source of a download or an author of a file so you know whether the files you're downloading and running on your computer are from trusty source and whether the files have been tampered with. It's wise to use or enable as many of the security features on your computer that you can.
- Checking for regular updates. Regularly updating your security programs on your computer will better protect you from new types of macro viruses being created.