Spam Filters: How to Filter Spam
Spam email is not only an inconvenience that floods your inbox with unwanted messages, but it can also be dangerous, having the ability to transmit viruses, adware and spyware to your computer. In order to minimize the potential risks to your computer, using an anti spam filter system is essential. Internet spam filter software can help reduce the hassles of spam and keep your important documents safe. But what exactly is a spam filter and how does it stop spam?
What is A Spam Filter?
A spam filter is a software program that blocks unwanted messages in 3 main ways:
- establishing white and black lists: internet spam filter programs create an approved list (white list), where messages sent by approved users are sent, as well as a black list, where addresses not approved are stored.
- blocking “sporm”: spam filters block a high percentage of spam pornography, as well as incoming mail that is deemed to be adult in content or contain adult images
- organizing email: most filter programs let individuals create folders so that they can store different categories of emails accordingly (i.e. financial, personal, games). Incoming mail is automatically organized into the appropriate folder so that the user may choose what to read.
What Should I Look for In Spam Filter Software?
When purchasing an anti spam filter software program, it is important to look for a program that is easy to use as well as that provides you with the desired level of customization. You should also look for up to date features and a program that is compatible with your email service.
The following are common features to look for in order to buy an effective spam filter software program:
- feature set this refers to the package of tools the anti spam filter includes. A good program will allow you to set up features regarding desired email, including which messages to accept and reject (white and black lists), as well as which to organize into folders.
- level of difficulty an internet spam filter should be easy to use. Look for helpful icons, a logical and organized arrangement, as well as drop down menus.
- ease of installation and set up look for a program that can be quickly installed and that can be done so without errors; be aware that programs requiring additional downloads, registration or other such elements means a more difficult and time-consuming installment
- stability choose a program that is dependable or compatible
- customization look for a system that is flexible. Such features include a filtering level that can be adjusted according to your preference; for example, a high filtering level will block or delete all emails not on your approved list, while a low filtering level will store all incoming email into a folder and allow you to decide what to open
How Much Do Spam Filters Cost?
On average, spam filters cost approximately $25 to $40, depending on the features the program includes.