How to Backup Your Outlook Express?
Wondering how you can backup your Outlook Express? We’ve made it easy for you by providing information on how to back up your messages, address book, mail accounts and news accounts in your Outlook Express. Since mechanical failures can happen any time and can cost a lot of money to repair, it’s a good idea to regularly backup data especially if you rely on your Outlook Express to organize your busy days.
There are two main steps for backing up your Outlook Express items. These steps include copying your messages files to a backup folder and then exporting the preferred items in your Outlook Express to a file.
Copying Your Message Files
To copy your messages files to a backup folder do the following:
- Find the Store Folder – Start Outlook Express and select tools. Then click Options, and select Store Folder on the Maintenance tab.
- Duplicate the items in the Store folder – Click Start, press Run, press CRTL + V, and select OK. On the Edit menu, press Select All, and click Copy, and exit the window. Type Mail Backup as the folder name and press ENTER.
- Make a backup folder – Right-click your desktop screen, click New, and then select Folder.
- Paste the items from the Store folder into your backup folder – Click the Mail Backup folder twice to open it. Right-click inside the Mail Backup folder window and select Paste.
Exporting Your Outlook Express items
To export your Address Book to a .csv file do the following:
- Open the File Menu, click Export, and then select Address Book.
- Pick Text File and press Export.
- Select Browse, to find the Mail Backup folder that you’ve made.
- For the File Name, type Address Book Backup, and select Save.
- Then press Next, to pick what you want to export. When done press Finish and click Ok, and exit the window.
To export your mail account to a file:
- Click Accounts, from the Tools menu. Find the mail account you want to export from the Mail tab.
- In the Save In box, find the Mail Backup folder, and then press Save. Exit the window.
- Repeat these steps for all the other items that you like to export from your Accounts.